Sari Draping...

Monday 7 April 2014

So the sari or saree is you prefer, is an age old classic and I've done a previous post (check the blog archive for more info!) about the recent updates it's been given!  But I wanted to dedicate a post the skilful art of draping a sari!

Now I won't claim to be an expert here by any means, and quite frankly draping a sari is an acquired skill and craft! I still need assistance more often then not! 

But I definitely feel like there's so many differnt way of draping a pallu that a whole post should be dedicated to it! Now essentially draping a sari involves a mixture of wrapping and complicated pleating a long length of material! But there are so many differnt ways to wrap a pallu (the part that is draped over the shoulder.)

Now I won't really waste time going over the normal ways to drape a sari because we have essentially the over the shoulder drape and the pleat on the shoulder style. But there are many new and fabulous ways to  drape your sari and I have one personal favourite!

The Drop and Drape...

  • This is what I like to call the drop and drape pallu- It means exactly what it says. Now you'll have to bear through my somewhat 'interesting' description of this particular Pallu (and I promise even if your still a little lost after, just check out the pictures below and you'll understand what I'm chatting about!) Now this Pallu has been spotted on the runways of Fashion Week but also on many Bollywood celebs such as Sonam Kapoor, she sported this type of drape most recently at Ahana Deols' Wedding Reception. What it basically involves is draping the Pallu so that there is a 'loose' drape between the blouse and the pleats of the sari (check out the pictures below) 
  • Usually when we wrap the Pallu round we wrap it round quite 'tight' so that it has a sheath like quality, this type of drape is essentially the opposite, were aiming to create a drape...
  • If you wanna give this a try, what you need to do is insert fewer pleats in what I like to think of as the skirt half of a sari, this basically means that the part that is meant to overhang on the shoulder is really long - What you'll need to do is basically drape this over the shoulder leaving a comfortable gap between the Pallu and the blouse
  • This style is especially stunning when the blouse of your sari is a feature piece... 
You can see the gap between the Pallu and the Blouse, this is the 'drop' part of the drape and then once you have a gap that your happy with you drape the remaining parts of the Pallu on the shoulder...
I used this picture previously for my statement necklace post but it also a perfect example of this type of drape! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground